Beat the Heat - Tips to Stay Cool while Working Outdoors
It’s been a super warm week in the UK, with record breaking temperatures here in Northern Ireland! While we all love a bit of sun when we can laze in the garden or take a trip to the beach, it can be tough to work in, especially if you work predominantly outside. With this in mind, we have compiled a few tips to help you keep cool throughout the rest of the summer as well as recommendations of the correct kit you should be wearing.
- Dress for the weather – the sun isn’t usually a regular in the UK so a lot of us don’t have the right kit for the warmer weather. Shorts and t-shirts are the way forward, heavy trousers and hoodies just won’t cut it. I know some of you might have to have your legs fully covered for safety reasons, but if not, try our new LMA shorts. Available in high vis, holster and ripstop – all breathable and much more fitting for the summer weather.
- Look out for clothing that has UV protection - we stock a number of t-shirts, such as this Portwest High Visibility Polo Shirt that has a UPF 50+ and will protect you from 98% of UV rays.
- Take short breaks out of the sun when you can (not too many or you might annoy the boss!)
- Think about your footwear – not all safety footwear was born cool. Although protective, some steel toed boots can be heavy and warm – not what you want when the sun is beating down. Instead, working conditions allowing of course, why not opt for a pair of lightweight and breathable safety trainers like the Cofra Kress.
- Protect your skin – slather on the sun lotion before work and top up as needed. Make sure to keep an eye out for any warning signs that could lead to heatstroke.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate – enough said.
Shop our full summer workwear collection here.
Want to get your kit branded? Fill out our branding enquiry form here or just give us a call on +44 (0)28 9334 1222 and we’ll get your sorted.